Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wipe That Smile Off Your Face, Sir!


Wipe that smile off your face is no doubt what some uniformed officer will be saying to me sometime but for now I'm all smiles.

"I looked down the road and saw you coming.  You jumped from 35 mph to nearly 70 on my scope in just a second or two but I couldn't tell if there were two motorcycles or what it was at first.  When we passed I called Dispatch and told them I had "one" but I don't think I'll be able to catch it", the Walnut Cove officer reported to us after he asked for my license and registration.

Moments later he returned to the McBearen where I had been waiting and began by saying,  "This is a warning ...".  Those first few words from his mouth brought a smile to my face that lasted long enough to be recorded in the attached photo Chris Downey shot of the encounter.  Earlier that day I had stopped to say hello to Hunter Willard who had graciously painted the McBearen the first time.  He introduced me to his friend Chris D. who was visiting him from Durham and suggested that I take Chris for a ride.  Chris and I were returning to Hunter's shop when I (totally out of character and completely irresponsibly) accelerated out of Walnut Cove's 35 mph speed zone to [a bit] more than the 55 mph limit of the open highway ahead.   

I guess the kind officer was suffering from the same illness we all were experiencing that day ... Spring Fever; brought on by clear sunny skies and a temperature in the mid 70's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment